0 months-3 months
Things are so fresh and new. You are most likely in the beginning of the honeymoon stage. You may feel compelled to get a gift for this new person in your life but you aren’t sure what to get. Since you two are in the very beginning stage, you may not know each other very well and if you want the gift to be a romantic surprise, you shouldn’t necessarily ask what to get. Keep it simple. Don’t spend a lot of money but put some thought into it. Most likely, you two have gone out on several dates and had some great conversations. Think back to those wonderfully engaging conversations and draw from them. Here are some gifts that would be appropriate:
- A Book: If the person you’re dating has mentioned any favorite authors or favorite types of books, you can go to the local book store and get some help from the employees. Book store employees tend to have a wealth of book knowledge and can suggest something good.
- Some Music: You can buy the latest cd of his/her favorite artist or go old school and put together a nice mix yourself.
- Dinner: You can give a gift certificate to his/her favorite restaurant or a restaurant that serves his/her favorite food.
3 months-6 months
By now you should be more familiar with each other and have some idea what you could get. Plus, your relationship has probably gotten more intimate by now. Many couples have started having sex by now so your gifts can be a bit more intimate.
- Date coupons: These aren’t just for Valentine’s Day. A nicely made coupon book with different date themed items in it would make a nice holiday gift too. This is especially good for guys who want to get something for their special lady that’s unique and shows some creativity.
- Articles of clothing: A great shirt or pair of pants would be ok for this couple. I wouldn’t suggest getting a whole outfit but one item would work.
- CD sets or Book sets: Since you’ve been dating a bit longer, you can spend more money comfortably. During the holidays, stores often bundle popular books and CDs that you could give as a gift.
6 months-1 year
If you two aren’t officially a couple by now, you will be soon or you are discussing it. You are very possibly making New Year’s Eve plans together and maybe going to meet each other’s parents. If you spend a little more, it’s alright but don’t go overboard, especially if you two aren’t officially a couple yet. These gifts can be even more intimate because by now, the intimacy level in your relationship has probably increased.
- Sex coupons: These are also not just for Valentine’s Day and can make a great holiday treat. They’re different from date coupons in that they address specific sex related things whereas date coupons are much more innocent and don’t involve nudity.
- Weekend trips: If you haven’t already taken a trip together, this is a great time to give one as a gift. It will be a bit more on the expensive side but since you two are going together, half of the cost will be for yourself. Only give trips for gifts if you truly plan to make things more serious as you move into the new year together.
- Jewelry: If you want to give jewelry, keep it simple. Guys, don’t give anything in a ring box unless it’s an engagement ring. You don’t have to break the bank to give a nice piece of jewelry so don’t go overboard.
- Art: If you’re dating someone artsy, you could find some nice art for them. Visit the eclectic part of town and look for those artists with booths at flea markets or bazaars who sell their own works. You can often get some really cool stuff without having to mortgage your house or sell your car.
- Clothes: A nice outfit or piece of clothing would be fitting for this couple. I don’t suggest getting a designer outfit that costs several hundreds of dollars unless your budget truly allows it but you can get a nice outfit.
Giving gifts over the holidays can be a daunting task, especially if it’s for someone who’s fairly new to your life that you have romantic feelings for. Hopefully these tips will make things less stressful. Ultimately, thoughtfulness and simplicity are key to giving a great gift.
Ashia Sims, is a writer, producer and Executive Producer for Friday Girl TV. She enjoys business, traveling and teaching women about fashion on her blog, www.cluelessfashionista.com